Sunday, November 06, 2011

Lap surprise.......

A visit this afternoon to the local patch at Worlaby from 12.30 until dusk provided me with one of the best days of the year on the patch so far.The main highlight came in the form of a real surprise,a Lapland Bunting seen on two occasions,unfortunately only in flight,but a great record all the same.This is,i believe,the second record for the patch and is a long way from the coastal wintering grounds.Also seen this afternoon,were a whopping 15 Short-eared Owl,giving superb views as usual,3 Marsh Harrier,juv.female Hen Harrier,Barn Owl,8 Common Buzzard and 160 Fieldfare.The Harriers showed superbly,with the Hen Harrier putting on a great performance in the rough pasture field before roosting and one of the Marsh,a 3rd year male put on a great show also.The only mammal sighting today was a lovely Fox sat along the Soak drain.A very productive 4 hours,with the Lapland Bunting providing me with my 144th species here.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like it's time for my first visit there for a while Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Lapland show off.

    Add me to your links if you like... I`ll add your blog to my website.

    Thanks Routledge.

    ReplyDelete